Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

January 13, 2011

Change of pace

Like a lot of people, I sewed and sewed and sewed holiday gifts this year. I was so happy to take a break from my machine for this.

IMG_0500

My husband loves (or pretends really well) anything that I make for him (that's him holding this one!). So of course, I love to make things for him (doesn't it rock so much more when you can tell someone really appreciates handmade gifts?).  I had high hopes of making a wedding memory book, but I did not have the time or the resources. Let's be honest, I spend all the money I can on fabric. Instead, I decided to take our favorite wedding photo and do something fun with it. I imported it into Gimp (open source photoshop-type program) and started playing around. I ended up with a 4-level image.

photoedits
note: my great friend Jess took our wedding photos, I have her permission to use them.

After work one day, I secretly ran to the Depot of Homes for plexiglass and to the local art store for some Canson paper (I chose shades of brown). Then, it wasn't until December the 23rd that I got around to transferring the image to the paper by hand with the butt end of a crochet hook, and then cut out each level on the 24th. It was stressful, mostly because I knew if I screwed up, I would not be able to go buy replacement paper, but partially because it took me two days to locate my exacto knife (side note - this knife is like my baby, it got me through many a basswood model in college). Thankfully it turned out right the first time, and has come to rest on another picture mantel (until I find or make the perfect frame :) )

IMG_0501

Thanks for reading :)
Mary

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I'll have to take a look at this sometime up close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. It came out awesome. I might have to steal... er I mean re-invent it for a V-day gift.

    ReplyDelete