Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

February 1, 2011

postage stamp quilt

It's finished! My very first quilt just for me, completed with the postage stamp quilt along. By the way, linking up to Quiltstory's Fabric Tuesday again :)

postage stamp 4

Lots of you asked about the purple color - I think I answered each of you, but just in case, it is Kona cotton in berry (you can purchase it here). I cheated the quilt along by using a fat quarter set of Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush line that I received for Christmas for the pattern patches, as opposed to purchasing a jelly roll of fabric. I think this resulted in a lot more duplication of prints, but it also saved me a chunk of cash. You win some...you lose some... Since I had a lack of variety, I decided to do a random construction. I like it. A lot. Even if some of the prints are corner-to-corner.

postage stamp 1

This is my proof that I did indeed finish this mammoth. Not sure why, but 60"x80" just did not click in my head.  Regardless, it sure felt like an eternity to assemble this thing. After assembling half, I had to think long and hard about whether I just wanted to make two separate quilts, especially with my husband exclaiming "That's HUGE!" in the background. Go big or go home, right? Oh well, perfect end-of-the-bed-in-the-warm-springtime quilt.

postage stamp 3

For the backing, I chose Parisville by Tula Pink's Damask Dot in pomegranate with white fleece 'batting,' and I just did straight-line quilting in a 1-2-4-2-1 pattern (every 10 rows). Just in case you missed the last three photos, here is another one :)

postage stamp 2

(I ventured into our courtyard for this one, city dwelling => no backyard, and my window sill was getting old. Needless to say, I snapped photos pretty quickly in hopes that I would not look like the crazy lady taking pictures of a blanket :) )

I had to fight the urge to pull out some chess pieces and set them up on this quilt :) Thanks for reading!

Mary

6 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of squares. Great colour choices and a stunning final result. Cheers! I just surfed in from Fabric Tuesday. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My postage stamp quilt isn't finished, but now I am anxious to work on it : ) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out beautifully! I especially like the use of Tula Pink's Damask dot on the backing.

    Congratulations on the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures look GREAT!!! I LOVE the first one!! And the quilt itself is AWESOME! Nice job Mary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out beautifully! I love the Innocent Crush with your Kona Berry, yummy! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beauty! I finished my postage stamp top this week and thought that was an accomplishment! I'm impressed you got it all quilted and bound. The purple is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete