Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

February 15, 2011

blossom shoulder bag

Linking to Quiltstory's Fabric Tuesday (yay it's back! congrats to the block party winners!)

more than a yard of leftover raincoat fabric was just begging for a bag pattern.

blossom bag

That's where the blossom bag pattern from Amy Butler comes in (free at Sew Mama Sew!). I can't pass up free, but I also suspect that Ms. Butler has stock in interfacing because I ended up with 3/4 yards leftover timtex. I needed practice sewing littler things, cleaning up my stitching and improving my patience. Note: not a good idea when I already have an aversion to raincoat fabric (you can now add timtex to that list of aversions).

Anyway, it's done, it's pretty enough, and it's springtime. Which brings me to my next topic: I did not get enough of the first go-round with the raincoat pattern, so I am remaking it with these non-raincoat home decor beauties:

innocent crush jacket

I learned my lesson and cut a half-yard of fabric off the requirements. What do you know, I still have almost a yard left. Seriously, such waste, both $$ and cotton (and we all know cotton is scarce this year).  There are only so many things I can have that are made out of green houndstooth (or now innocent crush).

Question: Are all patterns this wasteful? Or just particular designers?

16 comments:

  1. Love the bag! What did you think of the pattern? Was it easy to follow?

    My take on the excess fabric is that Amy Butler has a lot of large print fabrics and I think the extra yardage is added in case you want to fussy cut and line up the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the extra fabric waste. But that bag is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the bag looks great!! that sucks that the patterns waste so much fabric. I bet Sharon is right. Every time I work w/ amy butler's fabric I always have to fussy cut it to get the look I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that way about most patterns these days too. The last quilting pattern I bought, I was so frustrated at it that I tossed it away before I finished the quilt doing it my way. Which if I had done from the get-go I would have saved myself about 2 yards of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag!!! Want to see it in person.

    My theory is the next time you need some of that water-resistant fabric you can come over and I'll just spray you down with some clear coat and we'll call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute bag! I am checking out her pattern next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't have an answer to your question, but you bag is SO DARN CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute bag! I don't have much pattern experience. If I'm making a quilt I don't really mind having extra, because I'll just use the scraps from something else. But what can you do with those scraps??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bag! It is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy cow- another project completed by the amazing Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I love how your bag turned out! I can't believe that project is free! I have it, but from the Style Stitches book. I just finished the last bag in the book and was looking at the Blossom Bag today, already have my fabric for it, so looking forward to starting it. Yours looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CUTE Purse! I want to make that one as well. AB does irritate me with her fabric requirements and also the interfacings. PUHLEEZE! I usually try to lay out the pieces on my table first and figure out the yardage. I also dislike that some of her patterns only give yardage for home dec fabric - thank you very much but maybe I don't want to USE home dec 54" wide stuff. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I'm doing a Style Stitches year-long challenge, and I'm excited about getting to that bag later (I think in September). I have noticed AB's patterns do seem to waste a lot of fabric, but I guess I'm just adding fabrics I love to my scrap stash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um so cute!!! What great fabric, I love it. (Ms Butler has stock in interfacing, so funny :) I love your blog header too, so cute! Thanks for linking up to Fabric Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete