Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

March 5, 2011

adventures in quilt backing

Anyone else have fond childhood memories of "Adventures in Babysitting?" This post title reminds me of that movie... Did you know Vincent D'onofrio (Law & Order: CI, the alien in Men in Black) played Thor? WHAT?! I had no idea.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. After buying a whole bunch of batting on semi-sale, I decided my sliced coins quilt had been abandoned long enough. I already missed the deadline for the quilt along at Don't Call Me Betsy. Before I could quilt, though, I had to make the back.

Side story: I already purchased enough backing fabric, but then my friend's birthday snuck up on me, so I had to use some of the fabric to make her a last-minute gift dress. So then I was short about a yard...

I was determined to not buy any more fabric. I grabbed a few coordinating pieces from my stash, and this is what I came up with (the upper portion is all snowy white).

quilt back before

Ew. This is the first time I have ever ripped apart something I didn't like. Normally, I just go with it. You know, "Make it work" as Mr. Gunn would say. But this time I put my foot down. I took the bottom portion apart and reworked it by matching same-color pieces to make bigger color blocks (who cares about a little seam?)

quilt back after

Much better for me. I basted before work yesterday and continued free-motion quilting today. After a little more practice, the FMQ is going much better. I just need to buy a little more thread than I thought!

FMQ on a quilt

Looking forward to finishing this quilt up and using it for many picnics in the park this spring :)

What are y'all up to this weekend?

Mary

5 comments:

  1. keep it up girl.....practice is paying off

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..gosh; forgot to tell you what I was up to...the mind!!! I am going to play around with a few cushion covers; practice my FMQ a bit .....then pick my oldest grandson up to spend the night with us.....fun fun fun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you pieced together the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilt backs are not my favorite. They're just so bulky! I love the way this is turning out, and your FMQ looks great!

    I'm seeing my mom next weekend, so I need to finish up the second of two twin quilts I'm making for her. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I loved that movie! I thought babysitting seemed so...glamorous!

    ReplyDelete