Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

December 6, 2011

Herringbone: finish

Linking up to Quiltstory's Fabric Tuesday today.

I think the finish bug bit me...!

queen-size herringbone finish

(pardon the rainy-day-indoor-only-pre-move photos!) I steamrolled through the beginning stages of this quilt, but I only completed a few straight lines of quilting before adding the binding. You see, the back of this big guy is a very soft and cozy yet eager-to-shed micro-poly blanket. My living room floor was begging me to finish off the edges of the quilt, and once that was done, it went straight to the bed on the first cold night we had.

Thankfully it warmed up this week, so I set to finish the basic straight-line quilting along the herringbone frames. I especially like the way that the quilting looks on the back of the quilt (and I think the quilting is just enough to serve its purpose but still let the micro-poly backing be soft and cozy).

herringbone back

If you look closely, albeit very closely, this photo also shows the little light gray and polka-dot fabric details added in the binding.

stats
size: queen-ish
pattern: variable framed herringbone
fabric: Habitat by Jay McCarroll full collection, Kona Ash, Kona White-ish, random dark gray pillow cases
quilting: criss-cross straight lines at the foot of the quilt, straight lines following the frames on the herringbone portion

One more detail for fun :)

herringbone detail


Now all we need are some more chilly nights, and maybe a cup of hot cocoa :)

Happy Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. On Mary; it turned out lovely....and it is one you don't see often...I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was wondering what'd happened to this one ;-) It looks absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL! i want one! been thinking about using fleece for backing, might give it a go now that i see you had success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I always say "done" is the best thing about a quilt I make. :) This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This takes my breath away! I think the quilting is perfect! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you finished this! Great quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely beautiful! I adore the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning. I love the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt - a beautiful use of Habitat. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - wonderful job! Love how you framed the prints. :)

    ReplyDelete