Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

September 27, 2011

habitat quilt top

I kept right on steamrolling and ended up with the herringbone portion of the top finished yesterday, and I ran out of [some unknown color of] gray at the same time. I have a bit of an instant-gratification problem when I am on a roll with a project, so I set out today to find substitute fabric (knowing full well that I would not find the same gray).

This is when pillowcases from your friendly cheap-o discount store saved the day. They are a deep gray-almost-wants-to-be-purple color. I also picked up a microfiber blanket, a favorite in our household, to use as the quilt back. Fuzzy, comfy, and cheap completely outweigh the boringness.

cheater cheater! 

A few quick finishing pieces and I now have a completed quilt top! The entire quilt includes the herringbone piecing as well as the white and dark gray bands at the foot of the bed.

herringbone habitat top

Here is a close-up of the herringbone piecing. The 'height' of the parallelograms vary from 2.5" to 4", and the width of the herringbone bands varies from 6" to 9".


Next purchase: batting :)

6 comments:

  1. Looks so awesome! Why am I always running out of batting??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you definitely still like to sew and what a great job you've done on that quilt top. Let's see by now you must have purchased the batting and have it all quilted up, right? :)

    ReplyDelete