Header-Desktop

Home About Tutorials Patterns Shop Main Image Map

June 22, 2011

work in progress 6.22

It's Wednesday again!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

This past week, I've been working hard on...you guessed it, the memorial quilts! I love them. Really I do. But I am so tired of them. Light is at the end of the tunnel, I am hoping to have them sent off by the end of next week. Fingers crossed!

I finished this quilt with my sister's clothes for my other sister.

aleciaquilt2


And here is the stack of the grandmother memorial quilts.

memorial quilts process

From bottom to top...
Blue quilt - finished!
Blue/Green quilt - awaiting quilting
Black & White quilt - pieced, awaiting a border
Purple quilt - pieced, awaiting a border
Everything quilt - currently piecing
Pink quilt (not pictured) - all HSTs made, awaiting piecing

Phew! Since I am going with a basic quilting style, I think my goal of next week will be accomplished. I did a mental count of the HSTs yesterday as I was finishing them up, and I realized that I have made about 640 of them (the b&w quilt is just squares).  Maybe that explains why I am so tired of them...?

Other projects
Kaleidoscope QA
I am SO looking forward to the Kaleidoscope QA starting tomorrow over at Elizabeth's blog, Don't Call Me Betsy. This will be my third QA, second with Miss Elizabeth. It is so much fun to work on the same project as other folks and to be able to share tips and tricks!

Habitat Diamonds
I have a FQ set of Habitat by Jay McCarroll that has been calling my name since Atlanta. I also have a diamond shape cutter thinger that I got for Christmas. Put the two together, and BAM!

Other than those two, I will probably mix in a couple of smaller projects. Will inform as they happen :)

Happy sewing, y'all!
Mary

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe your stack of memorial quilts! that represents a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those memorial quilts look amazing. Those are my favorite kind because they have so much meaning behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you arranged your sister's memory quilt like a rainbow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family will be so honored that you created something so special for them! They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really impressed at the memorial quilts you have made. I don't think I have the emotional stamina to do that. I know I think of a quilt that would be very nice to make in my mother's memory, but I just crunch all up inside every time I seriously think about doing it. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I have not stopped thinking about your post the other day where you shared with us about your sister's quilt. Your post was very thoughtful and very well written. I am so sorry that you and your family lost her but happy for you that you created a wonderful memory of her in quilting. Can't wait to see your your KQA looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's some intensive, emotional work with all of those memorial quilts. Like Susan, I thought a lot about your post about your sister. I'm glad you can work through some of the grief via making these quilts. They look great.

    Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete